August 22, 2010

where did time go?

I am so relieved I just finished an essay on international conflict.
This weekend I:
  1. baked chocolate crinkle cookies, diabetes-inducing
  2. hardly slept and felt sick and nauseous
  3. made a sunday morning breakfast souffle
  4. threw a party (it was sister's birthday)
  5. did a lot of math
  6. attempted the pomodoro technique, and failed
There was a phone call from san francisco from an old friend, apparently it is the malayalam onam festival today. So my epic productivity plans (which were already crumbling) were suddenly halted and I found myself cruising down the sunny highway to her place for lunch. It was wonderful. V had just left the army, he looks ostensibly older with a newly-groomed beard and haircut. The night before after a drunken bout of partying he crashed through the glass fixture on the balcony and cut his wrist, twelve stitches. We had a quick comparing of battle wounds: I won on grounds of resembling harry potter, he won on grounds of having sheer skill - not a single drop of blood spilled along the corridor before he reached the bathroom. His brothers haven't changed, and somehow just meeting them again filled me with warmth that I seem to have lost these few days. There is something very endearing about the indian community, the door is always open and everyone knows everyone. Lunch was a feast, made with so much love.

1 comment:

  1. There is something comforting about being re-submerged into the family of a friend you haven't seen for ages, particularly big, busy families. There's something reassuring about being able to just slot back in. :)
    Mmm, chocolate crinkle cookies...

    ReplyDelete