August 12, 2010

today has been tiring & i should be sleeping

I had the privilege of being noticed by the principal and board of school directors today. One of the ladies said to me "I hope there is an interesting story behind that". The bandage across my forehead has attracted quite a few stares the past week and I enjoy watching the expressions on people's faces, ranging from concern to mild horror. The good thing about having gone through the whole ordeal is that after a while some things cease to be a cause for worry any more.

I ran into a person I thought I had forgotten, but when she held my hand and told me "be safe" I remembered what I used to love most about her, even if for a fleeting moment. there is still sunshine left in her but I can no longer feel that same sense of illumination as I did a year ago.

When I got home I was exhausted and nauseous and my head was pounding, fortunately an hour long nap and a warm shower was enough to make me feel happy again. I had a happy afternoon snack of sliced pear and raisins and walnuts, a few slices of cheddar and a heart-shaped milk chocolate from Mother. After that I went for a long walk with her around the neighbourhood. We saw a lovely grey cat and a labrador named Bear. I don't remember ever talking so much. I must have been very happy. The scar on my forehead has healed, what is left of it is a little indent. A reminder of having lived. I'm just glad to have my bangs back again.

There are shoes outside the apartment next door! It is always nice to have new neighbours. I have yet to meet them, but apparently they are an american family who has been living out of their suitcase for the past year and they have two sons aged nine and eleven. Time to send over a box of warm cookies

Dinner today was pizza, salad and wine. I recall december last year in the freezing cold of beijing we found a little corner cafe serving exactly that, all of us huddled on a plush armchairs around a small table and behind us rows of books (in english!) for browsing. A warm moment in the heart of wintery china. I will put up pictures of it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment