August 8, 2010

soho

caine road
elgin street
staunton street
hollywood rd
old bailey street
shelley street
graham street
peel street
george lane
aberdeen street
chung wo lane
wa in fong east
shing wong street
-
For the past few days my eye sight has not been particularly clear. As much as it troubled me, I decided to make the best of the situation and indulge in some memories of favourite places. Lorette E. Roberts' Sketches of SoHo kept me company. Her beautiful water colour illustrations of familiar hong kong streets reminded me of all those times trekking up the escalators of the mid-levels in the brisk cold, the sights that never change, the street stalls on slanted pavements selling hot sweet soup. Every year I will come back here and it is the one thing that is constant in my life. It is my anchor and will remain so. A year spent without returning home is a terrifying thought. The chatter of cantonese that surround me is like a warm envelope reminding me that here I am safe, at home, with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment